Joe Chellman, Principal, has been a web designer since 1996 and a drummer since 1989. He received his master's degree in Human-Computer Interaction from Carnegie Mellon University, focusing on usability design, in 1999. When he's not whacking hollow objects with sticks or building websites, Joe can be found cycling, cooking, shooting photos, or tracking down the best ice cream in town.
Joe favors clean, simple design, both visually and functionally. He is an avid supporter of web standards and accessibility guidelines and laws, and he builds sites to comply with both.
ShooFlyDesign is a Mac shop. We find Macs to be the right tools for us to get our work done quickly and well. We also use Windows virtual machines for testing our websites and supporting our clients who use Windows, you poor dears.
Some of the software we use to produce this and other websites include:
- Drupal is one of the best content management systems (CMS) out there, and it's free and open-source. Many of the websites we've built since 2007 have been based on Drupal, and we've been involved in the Drupal community since 2006.
- WordPress is a fine choice of CMS that powers a staggering number of blogs, and a great deal of regular websites. When Drupal is not the right choice, and for our clients who enjoy WordPress, we use it happily.
- BBEdit, a great text editor from Bare Bones Software.
- Photoshop, from Adobe. The subscription model of Creative Cloud is a little bit of a bummer, but the Creative Cloud Photography program really quite reasonable at $10/month for Photoshop and Lightroom.
- Create, a do-everything graphics application by Stone Design. We strongly wish they'd stop drinking from the iOS money firehose long enough to bring it up to date with the more recent versions of Mac OS X, but we still use it from time to time.
- GraphicConverter, the best software of its class for any platform.
- Markdown, a structured text language that's simpler to read and write than HTML. We use this on this very website, and in a great deal of documentation. The ability to write text that is clear to read as text, and also easily translatable into well-structured HTML, is really great.
- PHP, a programming language with which we have an unhealthy relationship.
- MySQL, the database management system that pretty much everyone uses.
This website is hosted on a Linode VPS. (That link is a referral. Use it, and we'll get a few dollars if you sign up.)